Our family is smitten by this simple take on the classic Mexican dish – chicken enchiladas. This gluten-free chicken enchiladas recipe is super easy and very cost effective as well. It hits the spot on cold winter nights after all of our after-school activities are over. These also freeze very nicely as well. We hope you enjoy these gluten-free chicken enchiladas as much as we do!
Gluten-Free Chicken Enchiladas
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (frozen or fresh will work)
- 1 cup organic (gluten free) chicken stock
- 2 cups gluten free salsa
- 2 Tbs gluten free cumin
- 1 Tbs gluten free chili powder
- 3 tomatillos
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 9 ounces low-fat sour cream (we use Daisy as it is gluten free)
- 16 ounces shredded cheese (we used a Mexican blend)
- 8-10 gluten free tortillas
- *optional – use the rest of your sour cream for garnish
- Add chicken breasts, organic chicken stock, and salsa to your slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or if in a hurry, cook on high 5-6 hours).
- In the meantime chop up tomatillos, green onions, and cilantro and set aside for later.
- Right before the chicken is done cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, you can easily shred it right inside the slow cooker with a fork.
- After you shred the meat, add the chopped tomatillos, green onions, and cilantro and mix together in crockpot.
- Add chicken and veggie mixture to a tortilla with cheese and sour cream.
- Once the pan is filled, put remaining chicken and veggie mix (including liquid for moisture) to the pan.
- Put remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
More to Consider…