Today I am excited to share with you some practical tips for a productive evening routine. Over time our family has realized that a busy evening routine often leaves us feeling frazzled, stressed and overwhelmed, all of which carry negative energy making it difficult to fall asleep. A productive evening routine should leave you feeling so relaxed that you drift off into slumber without a worry. When we realized the impact that our chaotic nights had the following day, we made it our mission to improve our family’s evening routine to one pointing to relaxation, fun, and getting important things accomplished.
Do you find that your family’s current evening routine is chaotic at best? Are you tired of fighting the kids to get their chores done, brush their teeth, and to bed on time? Believe me, friend, I have been there and completely understand. Having a productive evening routine sets the tone for the next day – and that is so important. Important enough that I am challenging and encouraging you to revamp your evening routine to be one of productivity. I believe these 7 practical tips I am sharing will help you and your family achieve the productive evening routine that you desire.
7 Practical Tips for a Productive Evening Routine
- Ask everyone to share something good from their day. Starting your evening off by asking your family this one simple question will place your minds into a positive place. Redirecting your thoughts to something that was good today will help calm and relax you no matter what happened earlier. Being at peace eases you towards a restful sleep once your head meets that pillow at bedtime.
- Do at least one thing you enjoy. While you may think relaxing at the end of the day by curling up to read a good book or catch your favorite show on TV may not be productive, it is. Ending the day doing one small thing that you enjoy, regardless of what that activity is, will allow you to relax. And as you know, being relaxed leads to better sleep and ultimately higher productivity levels tomorrow.
- Enjoy a nice family dinner together. Nothing is better at the end of a long day than sitting down to eat dinner as a family. There is something so intimate and relaxing to be at the table with your loved ones as you share good food and good conversation.
- Prepare meals and clothing for the next day. A great way to ensure you are making the best use of your evening hours is to prepare all meals for school and work the night before. We’ve also found that the mornings go smoothly when each family member has their clothing set out for the next day. This allows you to use the evening hours productively and remain prepared for tomorrow.
- Write a to-do list for the next day. Perhaps you have a lot on your plate to accomplish the next day. If that’s the case, take time each evening to write a to-do list for the next day. This ensures you are being proactive in thinking about what you need to accomplish tomorrow. Write your to-do list in order by level of priority so you can wake up focused on what needs to be done. Here is a post about why every mom needs a planner.
- Connect with your spouse. It is extremely important to connect with your spouse at the end of every night. This allows you to both to discuss goals, dreams and aspirations as individuals and a couple. When you connect with your spouse at the end of the day, you both remain united as a couple and are better prepared for your future. And let’s be real, being close with your spouse always makes for a good night and day!
- Accept the day and make peace with it. The last step to being sure you are able to have a productive evening routine is to accept the day. Remember to have faith that everything happens for a reason. The past is in the past, at this very moment all you have to realize is that you had a good day because you are alive and made the best decisions you could for today.
There are many ways you can prepare yours family to have a productive evening routine; hopefully these 7 tips will help your family get started. Having a productive evening routine is a simple way to ensure you are living a proactive, positive lifestyle while accomplishing goals and working together as family unit. There is something so satisfying than having a great start to your day; it feels as if you can take on the world.
More to Consider…