Growing up I was blessed to be around a plethora of cultures. My mother is Japanese and my step-family is European (mostly German, French and Swedish). My mom’s best friend’s were either from far away lands or chef’s like her. So needless to say, I have experienced a lot of different cultures on my palette. One of my closest friends from childhood is from Mexico and taught me to make homemade tortillas. Over the years I’ve experimented and modified my recipes and this is the one we’ve been using for over 15 years.
Now making tortillas has become a way of life for my family. Today I am sharing a recipe for easy homemade flour tortillas. We use these for breakfast burritos, enchiladas, soft tacos, and even make cinnamon/sugar treats out of them as well!
I hope you and your family enjoy making these as much as we do!
Easy Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
- Using a stand mixer, whisk dry ingredients until combined.
- Add water and oil and mix, scraping down the sides as needed until ball forms.
- Mix for two more minutes until dough is smooth.
- Turn out onto floured work surface and divide into 16 pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Roll out each ball into a 6" circle.
- Cook each tortilla on first side for about a minute, until brown spots form, then flip and cook other side for about 20 seconds.
- Stack cooked tortillas and wrap in a clean towel to cool.
- If not being used immediately, store in a zip lock bag.