Looking for some frugal family activities? You are in the right place. Our family loves nothing more than to be together and have fun. In addition to this, mom and dad are always on the lookout to save money. As a result we are constantly brainstorming ideas for frugal family activities.
Below we are sharing 40 of our favorite frugal family activities that we’ve done over the years. The neat thing is that we’ve lived all over the United States and Europe and were able to do all of these things that we’re sharing. We hope this list inspires you and your family to get out together and enjoy one another!
40 Frugal Family Activities
Indoor Family Activities
- Have a family “art day” where you can paint, draw, create things with oven-baked clay.
- Rent a movie on Amazon and have a family movie night.
- Stay in and play some board games. Here are our family’s favorite games to play.
- Build a puzzle together.
- Make play dough and play with it.
- Write and perform a skit.
- Go to your local craft store and grab some projects to do together. We have made birdhouses, jewelry, floral arrangements, and many more fun things!
- Build a Lego City together. We’ve done this 12 times and are going to build another this month!
- Head to the local library to grab books to read at the dinner table together.
- Become pen pals with another family and write letters together to send.
Outdoor Family Activities
- Fly a kite.
- Go on a fun scavenger hunt. We have some great ideas here and here.
- Go camping in your back yard.
- Watch the stars.
- Make a campfire and roast some marshmallows.
- Plant a garden together (indoor or outdoor).
- Hold a family “Olympics” where you compete against each other with fun things like jump roping, hulahooping, etc.
- Pack up and head to the beach, river, or lake for the day.
- Go fishing.
- Go bike riding.
- Take a nice walk together.
- Go exploring in the woods together.
- Learn a new skill together.
- Go roller skating.
- Pack a picnic lunch and head to the local park for the day.
- Wash your cars. This is especially fun when it’s hot outside.
- Go geocaching.
- Take photos of nature.
- Go somewhere and watch the sunrise.
- Head to your local nursery or public garden to look at beautiful plants, flowers, shrubs, etc.
Low Cost Activities for Families
- Go swimming at a local pool.
- Head to the city and go window shopping and out to lunch.
- Go bowling.
- Head to a local movie theater during matinee time (or dollar movies if they offer it).
- Go to a low-cost or free museum in your area.
- Go to a place near the airport and watch the planes take off and land.
- Bake some goodies to deliver to local civil servants (firefighters, police officers, military, etc).
- Go and hang out at your local farmer’s market.
- Go sight seeing in your town or the town right next to you. Make it a point to see things that you have never seen before. There are always hidden gems in every city!
- Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
We hope that we have inspired your family to get out and do some fun family activities together. There are always fun things to do that don’t cost a lot. Check your local events to see what is happening in your area. We find the neatest, low cost things to do that way. Enjoy!