Italian Pizzelle Cookies
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is making Pizzelle cookies with my mom on Christmas Eve. We always make a double batch, and they’re usually gone by the next day. The Pizzelle cookie originated in Italy, and since my family is Italian…well…you get the idea!
Now that I’m thinking about it, we even left these little wafers out for Santa Claus when we were little too! I suspect my dad ate them, leaving a few crumbs behind for effect and all.
My kids love them, my husband loves them, everyone loves them! I haven’t met a non-Pizzelle lover yet come to think of it…hmm…
Anyway, this is a secret family recipe from my authentic Italian mama. I’ve kept this recipe secret forever now, so please don’t share it with anyone! It’s just a special treat for you! ;o)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 sticks MARGARINE softened (melt then cool this if it’s right out of the refrigerator…NO YOU MAY NOT USE BUTTER!)
- 3 1/2 C flour (sifted 3 times)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pizzelle Iron (I have a Cucina Pro)
- Flour Sifter
- Optional: Powdered Sugar
- Beat eggs slowly and add sugar. Continue beating sugar and egg mixture until smooth.
- Slowly beat in cooled but softened margarine and vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking soda together at least three times, then mix into batter.
- Drop approximately 1 Tablespoon size of batter onto the Pizzelle Iron and bake until the light turns green, or Pizzelle’s are a nice light golden color.
- Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Buon appetito miei amici!
This post is a part of the series A Cookie A Day Until Christmas.
Win Crazy About Cookies
Enter to win a copy of Crazy About Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving by using the Rafflecopter widget below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Legal Disclosure:No purchase necessary to win. Void where prohibited. Valid only in the United States. Must be at least 18 years of age to enter. Winners will be selected by Rafflecopter and will be notified within 48 hours of the contest’s close. Selected winner’s will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Prizes provided by the Carlie Kercheval. Facebook is not affiliated with this giveaway and the act of liking a Facebook page is not required to win.
Erica is a homeschooling mom of four wonderful children, and wife to an awesome husband. She blogs at www.