I will never forget the first time I tasted a key lime cupcake. It was during the summer after my 1st grade year of school and it was at a new restaurant my mom started working at. I remember how my mom raved about the way they made their key lime cupcakes – how the flavor would literally explode in your mouth. And I remember the night she brought one home for me to try – and it did not disappoint. Years later I have my own recipe which I like to call semi-homemade key lime cupcakes. This easy recipe is sure to light your taste buds on fire (in a good way, of course) and give you your key lime fix in a jiffy!
These cupcakes are perfectly suitable to impress even the pickiest of palates at: baby showers, pool parties, school functions, church events, and just about any other gathering of family and friends (or even complete strangers) that you can think of!
Easy Key Lime Cupcake Recipe
- 1 box White Cake Mix +box ingredients
- ½ cup Lime Juice
- Make batter according to box EXCEPT replace ½ cup of water with ½ cup lime juice.
- Fill cupcake liners about ½ full.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add lime juice and food coloring.
- Add powdered sugar1 cup at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add lime zest and whip until distributed.
- Transfer to piping bag to frost cupcakes.