These mint chocolate chip cupcakes are a huge hit in our house. Anyone who knows me knows that mint chocolate chip is my FAVORITE flavor combination when it comes to sweets. I fell in love with this flavor combination when I was a 2-year-old little girl at Baskin’ Robbins with my Grandma Jean. Life has never been the same.
I love how these cupcakes look like they have a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream right on top of them! These semi-homemade mint chocolate chip cupcakes are perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- Eggs, Oil and Water (according to box ingredients)
- 1 cup softened Butter
- 6 cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Mint Extract
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Green Food Coloring
- Make cupcakes according to directions.
- Allow to cool.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add mint extract and 10 drops of food coloring.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add milk a little at a time until icing becomes creamy.
- Transfer about ½ cup icing to another bowl and set aside.
- Fold in chocolate chips until well distributed.
- Place icing in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using icing with no chips, ice a ring around the edge of the cupcake.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop up a scoop of firm icing. Press down in middle of scoop to create an indentation and place on the ringed cupcake.
- Repeat for remaining cupcakes.